Ways to stay well and help prevent and protect against the flu this winter
- Get the flu vaccine. Keep in mind that it takes about 2 weeks for the vaccine to be effective.
- Wear a face mask. whenever you’re in a public place during flu season.
- Stay away from people who are sick. Keep your distance from anyone who’s coughing, sneezing, or has other symptoms of a cold or virus.
- If you are sick. Stay home and rest.
- Wash your hands regularly. This is important before preparing food and eating. Also, you should always wash your hands after using the bathroom.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces. The flu virus can live on hard surfaces. Use a disinfectant cleaner to wipe down door knobs, telephones, toys, light switches, and other high-touch surfaces several times each day. If anyone is sick in your home, they should also quarantine themselves to a certain part of the house.
- Know the symptoms to watch for. Call your healthcare provider or Healthline on 0800 611 116 if any of these symptoms continue or worsen:
- sore throat
- body aches
- runny or stuffed-up nose
Some of these symptoms overlap with other respiratory infections like COVID-19, so you should take a COVID-19 test if you feel sick. It’s important to self-isolate, wear a mask, and practice good hygiene until you know your test results.